Feeling of heaviness in the legs is quite common. After a day on their feet, many noted the appearance of this symptom. According to modern statistics, for 30% of the world's population, heaviness in the legs is a constant companion. The legs "buzz", "ache", there is constant fatigue in the lower extremities, these symptoms are also found in most patients with venous pathology.
Heaviness in the legs
The cause of the appearance of heaviness in the legs is congestion due to impaired venous outflow. The most intense symptom of heaviness in the legs is manifested in the evening.
Why does heaviness appear in the legs:
- Continuous static load. This is true for those professions where a person is forced to stand most of the working time (surgeons, teachers, hairdressers). Also, office workers are prone to the symptom of heaviness in the legs, where a person spends a long time in a sitting position.
- Physical inactivity and increased body weight.
- Hormonal changes. This situation applies primarily to women.
- Pregnancy. The increase in pressure in the abdominal cavity due to the growth of the fetus often leads to a slowdown in the venous outflow of the lower extremities.
The leading cause of heaviness in the legs is varicose veins. Violation of the outflow of venous blood leads to its stagnation in the distal parts of the lower extremities. The feeling of heaviness with varicose veins is long lasting. The severity does not go away even after a night's rest and the legs do not fully recover. Elastic compression will have a good effect for relieving the severity of varicose veins. However, this effect will be temporary. For a good long-term solution to the problem of severity in the lower extremities, it is necessary to consult a specialist, a phlebologist.
Varicose veins are the main, but far from the only reason for the development of heaviness in the legs. Heaviness in the legs can also be a symptom of the following pathological conditions:
- Lymphedema. This pathology of the lower extremities is caused by a violation of the outflow of lymphatic fluid.
- Violation of the arch of the foot (longitudinal and transverse flat feet). Due to the non-physiological setting, the musculoskeletal and vascular systems of the lower extremities experience additional stress. This leads to a feeling of heaviness and swelling in the lower limbs.
- Cardiac pathology. This group of diseases affects both arterial and venous blood flow. Most patients with heart disease have an increased leg weight. Heart disease.
- Kidney disease. Heaviness in the legs is caused by excess fluid in the soft tissues, including the lower extremities.
Heaviness in the legs, the reasons why arises?
The feeling of heaviness in the legs has many reasons known to modern science. In addition to diseases, uncomfortable shoes, prolonged static loads can be the cause. The main cause of pathological severity in the lower extremities is varicose veins.
There are swelling and heaviness in the legs, what should I do?
If you have swelling and heaviness in your legs, you need to visit a phlebologist and perform an ultrasound duplex examination of the venous system of the lower extremities. Evening edema, a feeling of heaviness may be the first signs of serious venous pathology.
What is the cause of heaviness in the legs below the knee?
The most likely cause of heaviness in the legs is chronic venous insufficiency as a result of varicose veins. It is this pathology of the venous system that causes a feeling of heaviness in the lower extremities in hundreds of millions of people around the world every day.
How to get rid of heaviness in the legs?
In order to get rid of the heaviness in the lower extremities, you need to eliminate the cause of this condition. It is necessary to start any treatment with a diagnosis. You need to go to a good phlebological center to a competent phlebologist and follow the recommendations of a specialist.
There was a heaviness in the legs, which doctor should I go to?
If there is heaviness in the lower extremities, it would be most correct to visit a specialist in the field of the venous system, a phlebologist. After diagnosing the venous system, the doctor will give all the necessary recommendations on how to get rid of heaviness in the legs.